About Northeastern Health System
In the late 1920s a retired Army nurse purchased a two-story residence in Tahlequah and converted it into a hospital. This nine-bed facility provided medical, surgical and obstetric services with the help of three physicians.
As the community grew, so did their healthcare needs. By the mid 1940s it was apparent that the facility was no longer adequate to meet the needs of the community.
At that time, civic leaders joined with physicians and developed a city bond issue that passed with only 17 dissenting votes. This bond financed the construction of a new 30-bed facility, located at 101 S. Cherokee. The building was completed in 1946 and served the community well until the late 1950s. Another bond issue was passed, and with additional funding from Hill-Burton legislation, the hospital was expanded to 50 beds.
On June 3, 1974, a trust indenture was issued, creating the Tahlequah Hospital Authority, naming the mayor and city council as trustees of the authority. The City of Tahlequah was named as beneficiary. This authority proposed the building of a new, ultra-modern, acute care facility to serve the residents of Tahlequah, Cherokee County and the surrounding area. Proposals were made to the appropriate state and federal authorities ending in approval for a 58-bed general acute care facility.
In September 1975, an architectural firm was selected, a loan was signed, the present site at 1400 East Downing was chosen, the title was cleared, and ground was broken. The construction concluded in March 1977 and the new Tahlequah City Hospital, later to be Northeastern Health System, was completed. A third floor expansion was completed in 1984, which provided much needed space for many departments and doubled the capacity of the ICU/CCU. The expansion increased the patient capacity and licensure to 99.
Through the years, it became apparent that additional services would be needed to accommodate the growing population. In 2000, the Emergency Department was renovated to include private rooms and trauma centers to serve our patients in a more comfortable environment. In 2004, construction began on the east side of the building. The Emergency Department and the Outpatient Rehabilitation Unit doubled and quadrupled their capacities respectively.
Growth is a continuous part of the NHS atmosphere. Be it new physicians, equipment, services or facilities, we are continually growing to meet the needs of our community. One of the more visible signs of growth can be seen in the growth of our building. In 2008, the Medical Plaza was completed. This plaza is home to our Alzheimer’s and Dementia Unit, Maternity Center, Women’s Diagnostic Imaging Center and Northeast Oklahoma Cancer Center. The additional footage of the women’s center has made it possible for the hospital to increase its Cardiovascular and Intensive Care Units, as well as add a waiting room specifically for family and friends of patients in these units.
In 2011 Northeastern Health System’s Medical Office Building was completed on the south side of the main hospital. The four-story building houses many physician offices as well as the hospital’s non-clinical staff and administrators. The new 43,000 square foot building allows for more patient-care areas in the hospital and provides a cohesive environment for physicians, patients and hospital staff. The new building is connected to the hospital with an enclosed sky bridge.
Before 2014, our facility was recognized by the name of Tahlequah City Hospital, but as the institution spread beyond one location, it was renamed Northeastern Health System.
As the community continues to grow, so does the hospital’s reputation as a regional healthcare provider. As a result, several new service lines can be expected to materialize at Northeastern Health System, making us your healthcare provider of choice.
Search Our Site
Calendar of Events